Monday, July 2, 2012

Craft #7 (the last!) Hex Nut Bracelet

It's been a while since my last post! I spent the last month dealing with end of school, finals, and spending time with my family. But now it's summer (though it's only 65 degrees outside here) and I will hopefully have time to be crafty!
I have been snoozing (an extension you can get if you use Google Chrome) this page, an Etsy store ad for a "Steampunk" Hex Nut Bracelet for a month or more. I don't remember now where I found it, but I decided I could totally make it myself, especially since I still had hex nuts leftover from my other bracelets! 
Basic idea: string the flat sides of the hex nuts together to make a bracelet!
I used embroidery floss and 40 hex nuts, assisted by my big ol' needle.  My first step was to arrange the hex nuts in the pattern, just so I had an idea of where I was going to be threading them together. I ended up not doing it that way--in three rows-- but it was useful to start out with.
I tied the end of the string (I cut about two arm lengths to start out with) around one of the hex nuts, and wrapped it twice around another one--flat ends together. Then I continued, lashing the hex nuts together, flat side-to-flat side, wrapped twice with the thread, adding as I went.
(If you need a bigger and better view of the pictures, click on them!)

 I decided at this point that I didn't want to continue as in the Etsy post, and instead make it a little smaller and more feminine. (Since, obviously, the pink wasn't girly enough.)
So I kept plodding along, adding in my little pattern. (Scroll back up to the top to look at it!) Where I only have it connected by one hex nut, in order to keep the bracelet from being too wobbly, I discovered that it was best to attach it on two sides, rather than just one. Make triangles! 
I needed to add more string as I went, so I just tied it on, trimmed the ends later, and threw some clear nail polish on the knots.
Last step was to add the clasp, which I debated about how to do for a while, but I ended up just stringing it on with the embroidery floss. My clasp was big enough that I could hook it on to the last hex nut, but it was a little hard to unhook. So I just threaded a loop of floss through.

And there we go! I'm pretty happy with it, and I might even go to the hardware store and pick up more hex nuts. Of the three bracelets that I've made, this one's my favorite!

Questions, comments-- let me know :)

1 comment:

  1. My favorite of the bracelets, too. It looks so cool!
    -RR

    ReplyDelete