Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Craft #9-- Thread & Chain Bracelet

Another Bracelet DIY!


Basic idea: thread, weave, or knot some pretty colored string onto a chain to make a bracelet.

You'll need a chain, some string, ribbon or embroidery floss (what I used), a clasp, and your trusty big ol' needle.

I got the idea for this one from pins like this and this, originally intending for it to look more like the latter, so it started out like the picture below, but I changed my mind- thinking it would look better if it were wider, so I took it apart and started over.

I got a piece of chain that was twice as wide as my wrist, and picked out the center link, to be the clasp. Next, I got a nice long piece of embroidery thread, and tied it in the middle, so it doubled up, to the center link of the chain.

Then I started knotting the thread.  I used a technique I learned when I was in elementary school, making clip-in hair wraps (I was super cool), and you also use it when you make friendship bracelets. I've heard it referred to as a 4 knot, since it looks like a number 4. (here're instructions in the friendship-bracelet form) It's essentially just knotting one strand around another.  Here, I used the needle to pull the embroidery floss through a link, creating the knot, first on one side, then the other, back and forth. (If you want to see bigger pictures, just click on them.)



 While you're going, it looks like this:
 I fit about five or six knots on each link, then I moved on to the next one until I got to the end, and I tied on a clasp (didn't have one the exact color as the chain, annoyingly.)  That's it!


 Et Voila! I love it!


 Questions, comments, let me know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment